Artificial intelligence (AI) technologies already interact with many aspects of people’s lives. Their rapid development has resulted in increased national attention on AI and surrounding policy.
In November 2022, we conducted a survey of over 4,000 adults in Britain, to understand how the public currently experiences AI.
Broadly, our findings highlight the complex and nuanced views that people in Britain have about the many different uses of AI across public and personal life
We asked people about:
- Their awareness of, experience with and attitudes towards different uses
- What they believe are the key advantages and disadvantages
- How they would like to see these technologies regulated and governed
How to read the findings
- The survey highlights the nuance in the perceived benefits and concerns that adults in Britain identify across a range of AI uses. Find out more about the perceived benefits and concerns; and about specific benefits and concerns for each type of technology.
- There is also a widely shared expectation for independent regulation that involves explainability and redress. The governance and explainability section includes more detail on age differences and expectations of responsibility by different stakeholders.
- Discover findings related to the expectations and trust the public have for different stakeholders, including private companies and government, and the views from the public on who is responsible for ensuring AI is used safely.
- Find out more about people’s perceived benefits and concerns for different AI uses, with insights on expectations around capabilities and risk.
- Find out more about the survey methodology. There is more detail in the appendices and the separate technical report. In Appendix 6.1, we include the descriptions of each AI use that we shared with respondents before asking about their awareness and experience of the uses; and about their view of the potential benefits and concerns.
- Learn more about people’s awareness and experience of different AI uses. See an overview of overall net benefits and concerns for each technology. Also find out more about specific perceived benefits and concerns about particular technologies.